Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Not Cooking up a Storm... Cooking up some really God awful weather!

I cooked all these meals except for the one with the fish.

After hiatus 040

Barley and lentils with porcini mushrooms, brussel sprouts with olives, raisins and pistachios-- These were both variations of recipes from The Philosopher's Kitchen, which I love.

After hiatus 042 After hiatus 043 After hiatus 044

Experimenting with seitan: sauteed with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and spinach.

After hiatus 071 After hiatus 077

We haven't had fish in ages! Pan-seared Arctic Char with either sweet potatoes or potatoes and salad.After hiatus 091 After hiatus 089 After hiatus 095

Turnip and rice soup-- sounds humble, but it was INCREDIBLE. Deborah Madison is God. We were actually out of arborio rice, but regular short grain Japanese rice did the trick. It was served with small cubes of gouda and a grating of parmesan... somehow it was so savory, just like chicken soup!

We ate it with braised red cabbage with shallots, apples, leftover lentils, and pinto beans, plus salad.

After hiatus 120 After hiatus 109 After hiatus 122 After hiatus 123

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not get the recipe for clementine cake. sounds divine, even if clementines are not always in season, and even when they are, they are not necessarily wonderful. i'm sure they don't freeze, but maybe the teacher used canned...

February 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home