Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thursday: TWILIGHT!

Sorry, a LOT of updating is in order. As you will see from this post, I've been out a lot.
Thursday was extremely exciting because Page and I saw the midnight (12:01 to be exact) showing of TWILIGHT! AAAAA!
Breakfast (this feels like such a long time ago) was incredible! It might just have been the presentation, but it really didn't take that much more time. Believe it or not, I was inspired by a PAULA DEEN recipe for pumpkin gingerbread trifle. Of course, hers had tons of whipped cream, sugar, and cookies.
Here's my version:
alternating layers of pumpkin (mixed with maple syrup and spices), Greek yogurt, Grapenuts, half an overripe banana, wheat germ, flax, pecans, and a few honey graham sticks. It was so fun to eat!
In Art History, I had a Kashi bar... I'm getting kind of sick of these.
For lunch I went to Noodles Etc., the not-so-great Pan Asian restaurant by school. I ate much later than usual because I find that their noodle and rice dishes make me hungrier the more I eat (refined carbs, probably).
I ordered the Goma-ae, my favorite spinach dish EVER, which you see a lot in Korean restaurants: blanched spinach with a sweet sesame sauce. I also got the Tom Yum soup, which was spicy, with mushrooms, tomatoes and a few shrimp. The bowl was small and this was really light, but it actually filled me up.
In painting, I was starving, and my art teacher had some (slight bruised) apples in the room, so I had one. No photo, though.
After school, Page was going out to a 4:00 "dinner" with her dad, so I decided to go running and meet up with her later rather than go home and wait. It was freezing outside, so my running buddy Mollie and I just ran to the point and back... Maybe 2 miles? Then I went to the weight room and did some abs and lifting.
When I got to Page's I was starving... she and her mom basically don't cook, but I was actually looking forward to trying an Amy's frozen dinner. I ended up trying the Tofu Rancheros, which was tofu scrambled with spices and a little cheese, roast potatoes, and black beans on the side. On the side, I steamed some asparagus that I drizzled with lemon, and I also had a porcini cutlet from Whole Foods. I felt bad for stealing all their food... The cutlet was a little oily, but good, like a veggie burger. Page said the hazelnut cutlets are better.
Page's mom, Teresa's dinner was fried eggs, tater tots and cheese.
Page and I did homework and basically spazzed out before the show. A little while later, we both got hungry, so we had some Honey Nut Cheerios. I eat so much more than her... my bowl had soy milk, a tiny banana, a chopped up apple, and a little peanut butter... and I still went back for a little more!
At around 10:00, we called for a cab. It felt so weird to be heading downtown this late on a school night! Before the show we wandered around trying to find a Starbucks that was open, but we succeeded. Page got a gingersnap (why did they change the name? It used to be gingerbread) latte and I got a nonfat mocha... so good. Next time, I plan on trying their new espresso truffle, which is hot chocolate with an espresso shot... kind of a "reverse mocha," I guess.

We got to the movie really early to get a seat! It was crazy! People were dressed as vampires, or wearing shirts that they had either bought or made. My favorites were "save a volvo, ride a vampire" and "werewolves are the new black" (a reference to Jacob Black, if you've read the books).
The audience in the theater was a weird combination: 12 year old girls in their pajamas, people like us, gay guys, some old guys that went alone, and some couples. SOME ADVICE: DO NOT SEE THIS ON A DATE. The guys are so hot that you will want to stare at them the whole time.
EDWARD, SO HOT. JACOB, SO HOT. THE KISS SCENE: AMAZING.
The movie was so much better than the previews made it seen, and it was really faithful to the book. The author even made a cameo!
We were so exhilarated when we got home at around 2:30 that we wrote on tank tops that we wore to school the next day. Hers: TEAM EDWARD. Mine: TEAM JACOB. Underneath: 11/21/08, 12:01 AM.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home