Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Monday, November 17, 2008

I am a slug

Seriously, I am a slug now that swimming is over. Must find some form of exercise (other than PE, which actually is kind of a workout... we did sprints and wall sits, but still... not enough). I might go running with the cross country team tomorrow, since their workouts are basically whatever you feel like doing.. but will I be okay distance running when I haven't done it in a while? I'm still in good shape from swimming... I guess we'll see.
I can already see my appetite decreasing. Not too much... I think I still have a fast metabolism, but at least I don't feel like I need to engulf what's in front of me all the time.
Breakfast: oatmeal with 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 milk, 1 banana, a handful of cranberries, maple syrup, pecans, Greek yogurt, and peanut butter. Very Thanksgiving! Next time maybe I'll add pumpkin!
Today in bio we started a lab that involves fermenting apple juice by adding yeast and then determining the percent alcohol by the end. Somebody asked about how much yeast to put, and my bio teacher said "I know of at least one person in this class who can cook, and I'm sure she'd be happy to help." (Actually, I don't bake, so I know nothing about yeast)
Then I forget what happened, but somebody said "It's just a Lida thing."
And he said "No, I can just tell the difference between someone who listens to talk about food and someone whose eyes light up." Then he said, "by the way, yesterday was the closest my wife's ever gotten to reading a blog." Actually, I didn't give him the URL... maybe I should.
Snack: Chocolate brownie z-bar
Lunch: lighter than normal now that the season's over-- a really TINY whole wheat bun with a Morningstar veggie burger that I grilled this morning. I added ketchup and mustard at school. The burger was actually pretty decent (I was really desperate for lunch options this morning)-- it tasted like a really crappy beef burger, and yet I liked it... maybe for that nostalgic feeling?
I also had carrots, celery and pepper with hummus and some applesauce. (Now I take photos of my lunch when I make it so as not to appear weird at school.)

I didn't get home until around 5, and I was hungry, but didn't want to spoil my appetite for dinner. I had a juicy pear, a mug of hot chocolate with 1% and this Spanish hot chocolate mix my mom got from Zingerman's in Michigan for my birthday, plus some nuts and a few Kashi crackers.
I felt like it, so I basically made dinner today! I improvised a kind of mock jambalaya, only it turned into more of a risotto fusion dish, since we didn't have long grain rice.
I sauteed onions, vegetables, tomato paste and herbs and spices in olive oil, then added canned tomatoes, Arborio rice and homemade vegetable stock. It took a while for the rice to cook, but then we added shrimp and kidney beans. It was good, but I think I might be coming down with something, since it was supposed to be spicy but I couldn't taste much. It also didn't fill me up! Maybe it was the white rice as opposed to brown, but I had to eat 3 helpings!
On the side we had a beet and endive salad with lemon.
And I felt really stuffed, so no need for even fruit after dinner.
Good night!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning slug! Haha, I'm just playing along with your post title :)
If you're looking for alternative exercises, I recommend yogadownload.com, where you can download yoga classes to your computer. Some of the Power Yoga classes are pretty intense!
The jambalaya looks fabulous. Definitely made me drool!
It's really cool you had a beet and endive salad with lemon last night; I had a beet and endive and ORANGE salad! Great minds must think alike, huh? :)

November 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

..such a cool blog, Lida! (as i heard) i was just reminded of you when reading this amusing article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/17/nyregion/17bigcity.html
check it out if you haven't-
greeting from hanover.

November 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - I added you to my blogroll, if that's ok! :)

November 18, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home