Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pumpkin and Apples

Dinner was great! Unfortunately, it didn't photograph very well. My mom used 2 kinds of lentils (sadly, I don't really know the names, just the colors). The recipe called for kale, but we didn't have that, so we used escarole instead, which doesn't have as much flavor, but it does add volume. It reminded me a lot of the vegetable tagines I make, except that my mom added PARMESAN at the end! I thought that was a weird chose, given the Middle Eastern flavor palette, but it ended up tasting fine in the end. In fact, it was delicious! We ate it with Israeli couscous (the bigger kind), since the extra fine regular couscous would have gotten lost under all the pumpkin. The couscous and lentils were very similar in size and shape, so it was a fun mix of textures.

Dessert-- we bought a bunch of small apples that were too mealy (nothing worse than mealy apples) to eat raw, so my mom through them in a pot and made applesauce. She left the skins on and they were red, so what we got was this beautiful PINK applesauce. In terms of flavoring she added cinnamon, lemon zest, ginger, nutmeg, a bit of sugar, and, inspired by last night, a little cayenne, which you couldn't really taste.
It was the best applesauce we've ever had! It would be great in oatmeal.
I was craving some fresh fruit though, so I also had some strawberries and blueberries.
Good night!
SECTIONALS IS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. AAAAA.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home