Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Take a deep breath... here we go

So I've decided to try it: posting every day. Yes, I know that my family members think that reading sporadically about restaurants and strange ethnic experiences is more interesting than making lists of my every day breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what I've found in my experience as a blog reader is that I love the repetitiveness of the blogs that I read. I like coming home and seeing that these peoples' lives are going on the same way mine is, and that they all have different comfort foods and interesting recipes that they can fit into their busy schedules.
Whew. That being said, here goes my (boring?) day.
Breakfast: pumpkin oats! 1/3 cup oats, waaay more than 1/2 cup of pumpkin (I could just eat that stuff all day long), 1/3 cup of soy milk, 1/3 cup water, wheat germ, flax seed, a handful of pecans, some Greek yogurt, and a few crumbled Honey Graham Sticks.
Also Yerba Mate tea.
I must confess that I nearly always get seconds on breakfast. I'm sure this is a terrible habit, but I can't help it! I'm always still hungry! Usually these seconds are on cereal toppings or yogurt/ whatever other dairy product I'm using. I also think these are the food groups I probably get too much of. Any other ideas on how to make my breakfast super filling? (sometimes I also eat peanut butter on a spoon Kath-style).
Because I wasn't entirely sure if I would be blogging today, I didn't take a photo of my snack or lunch. Should I start doing that? People will think I'm even stranger.
Snack, which I had at the beginning of 4th period French (10:45): Kashi cherry dark chocolate chewy bar, which was great! I like it more than the trail mix flavor.
My French teacher is awesome: on my returned composition he put "99.9847 bar (don't know how to do that on a computer)... pour ne pas dire 100 %).
Lunch: sandwich on whole wheat with 1 Laughing Cow, hummus, avocado, and swiss chard, leftover brussel sprouts, an apple, and a plain Chobani with Puffins (see what I mean? Too much cereal and yogurt! This is why I need to start eating meat to add some variety to my diet).
I've decided that since we only have this week of swim season left until Sectionals and this week is our cool down week, that I really don't need a bar midmorning AND before practice. I think some of those pre-practice Larabars, delicious as they were, were probably unnecessary.
Anyways, practice was great! It was definitely still a workout: 400 warmup, then our usual 8 40s kick, swim, drill, swim, IM order (sorry if you don't speak swim language-- that means butterfly, backstroke, breastroke, freestyle).
After warmup we did kick sets WITHOUT SHOES! Freestyle down and IM order kick back. My legs felt so free! It's amazing that before I wore the shoes I completely depended on my arms to get me anywhere.
For the rest of the practice we focused on sprints with a LOT of rest, and then splitting up 100s into 20s and 40s with rest in between. Cool down was only a 200! Usually we have a 400 with up-downs (Basically push ups) or sit ups at each end, which is pretty tedious. But no! Here comes an easy-ish week!
SPEAKING OF SECTIONALS... I GET TO SHAVE MY LEGS FRIDAY! Although, I must say, it's been nice not having to shave or feel obligated to shave... then when people say how hairy my legs are, I can just say, "oh, my coach isn't letting me." But I don't have that much hair on my legs anyway, being Asian. You should see some people on the team... definitely hairier than some of the guys I know.
Dinner: so fast and one of those meals where my mom and I (dad's in Barcelona) kept saying "Oh, my God, this is so good," every few bites. Of course, I take no credit for it, but I do take credit for the idea. My mom made a pasta sauce with the leftover roasted root vegetables, olive oil, leeks, wine, and parmesan, which we tossed with butternut squash ravioli (Rising Moon Organic). The ravioli was great! It was definitely too bland to be eaten plain, but delicious considering it doesn't even have cheese in it.
On the side we had sauteed swiss chard (from our friend Paola's garden) with olive oil, capers, pine nuts, hot peppers, and raisins. This method was suggested by Paola, who comes from Naples and is also a pescetarian. The key to the dish was SHREDDING the swiss chard, which we've never done. By doing it this way, you could actually eat the stalks without choking! Epiphany!
I should have known that my dinner was slightly lacking in protein-- hence, a big-ish dessert that I was really craving (I use swim team as an excuse to indulge a little every night): a small glass of Silk Light chocolate, some Stoneyfield Cookies 'n Dream frozen yogurt, and strawberries. Oh, yeah, and chamomile tea.
Was only able to practice 30 minutes of piano.. I'm trying to go to bed at 9:30 every night this week, so it's posting these photos, reading Moby Dick, and lights out. Good night!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a healthy day! I didn't know about shredding the chard either. Good idea.
I'm laughing at the image of your not-so hairy legs, and your friends' very hairy legs. haha! :)
Your day definitely doesn't sound boring at all. I can't really help you with the filling breakfast question because I usually have the opposite problem; I need to remind myself to eat breakfast! I think eating some protein helps - I used to eat boiled chicken, or eggs for brekkie, that usually kept me feeling satisfied.
Happy Tuesday!

November 11, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home