Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Grad student eats!

Hello, everybody! TGIF, for sure... I don't have big plans for the weekend, but today was busy and fun.

Here are some lake photos for you, taken out the window.
Breakfast: oatmeal with oat milk, homemade applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, pecans, and Greek yogurt.
Snack: carrots

Lunch: wrap with tempeh mole and arugula, the pumpkin and lentil stew, and 2 tangerines.
I was afraid I wouldn't have enough time to digest because today I tried something a little different: on Fridays I get out of class at 1:45, so I went running by the lake by myself right after my last class, which was gym, so I was conveniently already in the locker room. I managed to get back 10 or 15 minutes after everybody else got out of class, so I ran for a bit more than an hour.

IT WAS A GREAT RUN! It was longer than yesterday's, so I was going at a slower pace, but that was fine for me. It was also colder, so it was hard to get into it at first, but once I was by the lake, the sun was out and I got into it. The thing is, maybe it was the earlier time, but NOBODY WAS THERE. Not even people walking or biking! It was eerie... if it hadn't been so early I would have been afraid. It was the opposite, though: I felt so relaxed and zen... and I had actually just come from yoga, so it was double the relaxation!
When I finally got to the playground (3 miles or so later), I got on the swings and felt like a kid again. It was great. At the end of my run, just when I was getting tired, I ended up getting sprinting in! this was NOT intentional: here's the story. I was running and I saw a guy walking in front of me... I was thinking, "crap, is that who I think it is?" and they turned around, and it was exactly who I thought-- this senior guy that is so attractive I could die... he is my Edward Cullen, basically. Anyways, the second he turned, I SPRINTED to the left and ran until I was out of sight. I was embarrassed for anyone to see me running, let alone him (I REALLY HOPE HE ISN'T READING THIS), although I know I should be proud for going :) because it was so cold... I did 6 or so miles, which is twice what I usually do on my own! Yay!
After my run I changed and went to Page's house, because I ended up going to the guy's swim meet! I had a banana that I didn't photograph.
The swim meet was annoying at first because we were in the stands with all these girls who were only there to stare at the shirtless guys (of course, there are those benefits, but I also care about the sport!)... they didn't even know what was going on, and we wanted to go time, but the captain was being really annoying and not letting us. FINALLY we got to go down... it was interesting watching the guys swim, because, honestly, it made me realize how hard our practices were in comparison, and how our times really weren't bad at all... not that they suck or anything... they just weren't as astoundingly good as I remembered.
When I got home, there was an art history department party being hosted at our house, with a TON of vegetarian food. I was starving because I didn't have a substantial snack. Highlights:






-Salad of tofu, sugar snap peas, carrots and string beans
-Vegetarian lasagne
-SEITAN pot pie! I couldn't believe it! I usually don't like "fake meat" stuff, but this was amazingly delicious! I mainly ate the filling and ignored the crust, but it had peas, carrots, seitan, potatoes, and a bunch of other vegetables, and even had a kind of smokey taste to it.
-Paella with carrots, string beans, and white fish
-Korean egg zucchini pancake
-Mini quiches
-Insalata Caprese
-Meat (which there was not a lot of): turkey, turkey pie
I got seconds on the seitan pie and paella, which were my favorites.
There was a ton of dessert, but I picked the thing that I REALLY wanted and I loved it so much that we wrapped up leftovers and put them in the fridge.

There were those ridiculously sparkly Xmas cookies, tiramisu and cannoli, lemon tart, cinnamon shortbread, macaroons (the french kind, not the coconut), other miscellaneous cookies, berry pie, berry tart, and the one that I had, some kind of gingerbread with chocolate chips and nuts. I feel like there must have been pumpkin, applesauce, or carrots in it to give it that extra moisture.
Either way, it was INCREDIBLE. I had a bite and decided it needed Greek yogurt to contrast the sweetness. I had a big piece and there are no regrets (I ran 6 miles! I should be okay...).
WE HAVE TOO MANY LEFTOVERS TO DEAL WITH!!!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home