Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

3 days worth of blogging

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PUBLISHED YESTERDAY, BUT MY INTERNET DIED.

Hey guys! I AM SO SORRY FOR THE LACK OF POSTING. Today I can say my reason was that I was out literally all day, but I have no excuse for not posting yesterday or the day before. I think part of it has to do with the fact that when you cook more, it's hard to relive that through writing about it... cooking really is a time commitment, and I've been doing it a lot.
So I'll just do a quick recap of Thurs through Sat
THURSDAY
Breakfast: cottage cheese and yogurt with blueberries, grapenuts, and peanut butter. yum.
Snack: none
Lunch: I also made my friend Kaitlyn lunch! Yes, I did go through with the marshmallow-Nutella banana sandwich. It looked great, but we only had pumpernickel, which was a bit strange, and she didn't finish it :(. but for dessert I did pack her fancy French chocolates.

i left notes on the lunch objects in French (kind of our thing) and also wrapped the sandwich in gift paper.

some of her friends also made her this outrageously disgusting-looking food coloring cake.

As for me, I had a wrap with tofu, rapini, spinach, and mustard, carrots and celery, leftover cauliflower, and an apple.

Dinner:

I cooked for myself. Yes, this photo makes it look great, but all my cooking times were off :(
I made eggplant stuffed with brown rice, feta, eggplant cubes, rosemary, etc. over cherry tomatoes and white wine. The problem was that I was only cooking 1 eggplant, and I couldn't figure out how to cook the eggplant until tender without making the rice stale. In the end, I just ate the eggplant a little underdone. This was actually pretty small, so i had both halves with some pinenuts and a blob of hummus.
Dessert: Greek yogurt with blueberries and Annie's vanilla chocolate bunnies-- i've been very good about portion-controlling my cereal!

Workout: I was going to run out side, but do you have ANY IDEA HOW FREEZING IT IS OUTSIDE? It was in the TEENS on Thursday... instead I went to the workout room at my school, but I really wasn't up for too much cardio. I warmed up with a mile on the treadmill, then did a bunch of weight machines and abs-- I was actually really sore the next day! Then I cooled down on the elliptical.

Friday: I was super tired and just not in a work out mood... I was just in the mood to crawl into bed after school, which I get out of at 1:45 on fridays! it was great... I literally lay in my bed watching Gossip Girls that I'd rented until it was time to cook dinner. What a wonderful waste of time.
Breakfast--Oatmeal with buttermilk, blueberries, PB and flax.

Snack-- dates and dried apricots
Lunch-- tofu, hummus and cucumber sandwich, carrots and celery (really running out of vegetables at this point), an apple, a Zensoy pudding


Snack: no snack, but I did make myself a chai latte with half milk and half water and stevia.

Dinner-- I made dinner for my aunt Claire! I realized how empty the fridge was, so I decided to empty it. I made the stuffed pumpkins from the Flexitarian Table that I was originally going to make for Thanksgiving, but I swapped the quinoa for brown rice, given the abundance of brown rice we had in the fridge. It turned out to be pretty good!
I threw out about 3 bags of rotting vegetables while looking for something edible to cook-- I stir-fried a mixture of kale and some vegetable related to baby bok choy with some edamame, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and of course, some cornstarch. Then I drizzled it with sesame oil and topped it with sesame seeds.

Dessert: a pear


TODAY WAS SO BUSY!
I got up at 7 and worked out downstairs-- I did my usual 35 minute interval set on the elliptical with my biology book... I can't say I internalized much, but it was useful. After that, I just did some more easy elliptical so I could burn a little more than 400 calories. Before I left I had 1/2 a banana.

Breakfast: no dairy with this breakfast because I knew I was going to Istria for coffee and I wanted to get something nice and milky then. I had 1/2 cup of oats with 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup oat milk, the last of the blueberries, slivered almonds, and peanut butter.

We headed over to the cafe and I got some good studying done. Of course, I got my usual decaf nonfat mocha... Seriously, delicious.

I had my piano quartet from 11:30-12:30, and then Aunt Claire and I had lunch at Fox and Obel! I really wanted sushi, but given the temperature, I decided against it. I definitely didn't order enough food, though! I only got half a sandwich with a side salad... somehow I remember the sandwiches being bigger than they were. The sandwich I got was basically a ton of vegetables with hummus on multi-grain. Aunt Claire had a turkey, cranberry and brie sandwich, and I also had a bite of her ginger cookie, which was the most delicious thing I've ever had.


Anyways, I had to go back to music for more quartet, theory and duet from 2:00-4:00. I actually forgot my hunger. We went to Whole Foods and now I can say that there is stuff in my fridge and stuff to cook. YAY! We were going to go see Twilight but Claire is kind of sick :(
We ended up getting stuff at the Whole Foods salad bar, since I've always wanted to try it.
Sadly, I WAS DISAPPOINTED! None of the stuff I took had any flavor whatsoever. I had my big salad with some tomato-red pepper soup and some of the stuffing from my pumpkins, and that stuffing blew all the Whole Foods stuff out of the water!
I took: Greens, chickpea salad, shrimp cabbage slaw, tofu that tasted like nothing, sweet potato, beets, artichoke hearts, a bit of peanut noodles, cauliflower and peas, and probably more. The point is that it didn't taste like much and wasn't at all satisfying :( I didn't finish it because I was afraid I would get a fiber-stomach ache.
I am definitely having dessert...

I'm not in a bad mood or anything, just really tired and craving something sweet and either a nice book or bad TV show.
I ended up realizing I was HUNGRY, so I had a ton of yogurt and cottage cheese with blueberries and GoLean Crunch.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

And everything you had looks oh-so scrumptious! Delicious!!!

December 7, 2008 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger originallycliche said...

I cannot emphasize how jealous I am of your standard of eating. :P

December 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home