Octopuscarwash's Gourmet Adventures

I live to eat. Yes, I am an Asian Jew. My favorite meal is breakfast (oatmeal in particular). I'm only in high school, so I am a complete amateur. Some of my favorite cuisines are Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Japanese and Korean. I eat so much Chinese food that it's hard to say whether I like it or not... all I know is that I don't like what most of America seems to think of as Chinese food, Panda Express. I'm a pescetarian and love coming up with my own healthy fusion food.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Confined in a little space

I'm starting to realize that if I don't exercise, I start to feel sick. Seriously! Today, I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had no appetite, had a horrible sinus ache, felt nauseous, and literally lifeless. I never wanted to see the apartment again: it was too bright, the corners too sharp, and I had never felt more claustrophobic. For a minute I really thought I was on the edge of a mental breakdown. I didn't get hungry for lunch until 4:00... everything seemed delayed.
For some reason, my breakfast picture didn't upload, but I thought I would share my dad's super Asian breakfast because I thought it was so cute (PS, he usually is more of a toast/ bacon and eggs guy, so this is not especially typical). He got back from China yesterday, bringing with him awesome whole grain breads from the little restaurant downstairs: corn, black bean, and a little corn bun filled with wild vegetables. The black bean smelled almost like vanilla (the black flecks reminded me of vanilla beans too). Of course, they were still tasteless (but delicious), so I ate mine with peanut butter. My dad ate his plain with some hot soymilk.
For lunch, I took leftover black beans and diluted them into soup, adding turmeric, cinnamon, paprika, and a little coconut. I ate it with Greek yogurt and more of the Chinese monk buns (so I like to call them).
By late afternoon, I finally realized what was making me crazy was lack of exercise, so I went for a run. At almost 5! That's really rare for me, especially because I wasn't used to the humidity (I'm used to going first thing in the morning). I ran to the 43rd street bridge, which is where I usually go, but for some reason it literally seemed to take only 10 minutes to get there, even though I didn't feel like I was running especially quickly. The run was over too fast, and I was not ready to go back indoors. My knee was starting to hurt, so when I got back to my house, I walked to the Point, watched all the people BBQing and picnicing, then ran back very quickly. I was soaked with sweat. It definitely wasn't tiring, but all I needed was to get my heart rate up a bit. At least that way I had an appetite for dinner! I felt bad that I couldn't help make it (originally I was thinking about cooking), but when I got back it was already 6:15!
We had couscous, which is usually my dish, but today my mom made it. We used all our fresh farmer's market vegetables: butternut squash, zucchini, carrots, as well as chickpeas, raisins, dates, prunes, and a lot of cilantro and parsley. There wasn't enough couscous, so we also made rice.

On the side we had a frisee salad and I made a really good (if I do say so myself) yogurt tahini dressing with a little bit of olive oil, lemon, and paprika.
I need to find things to do on Sundays, otherwise I really may go insane. so far there isn't enough homework to keep me occupied, and I NEVER thought I'd say that... last year I literally had 4 hours a night, and now I don't even have 2. What HAPPENED? I thought junior year was the most stressful one!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home